The Algonquin Hotel
New York, New York
The Algonquin Hotel in Times Square has been a part of the city’s history since the early 1900’s. The property has been known for attracting literary and theatrical guests and has served as a social sanctuary for over a century. Through the years, the hotel has evolved to accommodate the changes of the city and its guests. Accordingly, renovations were needed to incorporate the current day conveniences. Maintaining the building’s integrity and historical charm were paramount in revamping the Algonquin Hotel.
- Like many New York City buildings built in 1902, the hotel’s design included small bathrooms that had very low water pressure.
- New products installed during the renovation needed to be designed to fit the scale of the space. Additionally, bath fittings would need to be manufactured to accommodate the low water pressure and provide a comfortable bathing experience.
- Using Symmons Design Studio,™ shower trim was created in an oval shape to appear smaller when installed.
- The showerheads were manufactured with pressure-compensating flow controls and specially engineered nozzles to provide a better shower experience at lower flow rates.
- Lavatory faucets were fitted with pressure-compensating aerators to accommodate the low water pressures.
- Base concepts for the bath fittings were selected from the Symmons Ideation Gallery and modified with a “step” detail to add interest to the products and to coordinate with the historic décor.
- In 2012 the Symmons in-depth design process allowed for the creation of size-appropriate shower trim and faucets for the space.
- One-on-one interaction with the Symmons team guaranteed that the products manufactured to accommodate the property’s unique operational requirements would meet the expectations of the hotel guests.
Symmons Industries is a premier manufacturer of commercial and residential plumbing products, setting the standard for quality in plumbing fittings since 1939. From the development of our pioneering pressure balancing, anti-scald shower valve, to our expansive range of exceptional products for the kitchen and bath, we have maintained an unrivaled commitment to quality materials, superior engineering and solid workmanship. As an industry leader, Symmons continues to innovate within the custom fittings category, creating distinctive design solutions for premium hospitality and condominium projects. Pairing reliable behind the wall technology with stylish and durable products in front of the wall, Symmons is truly the smart choice in plumbing. Headquartered in Braintree, MA, Symmons is a privately-held company with regional sales offices and local representatives located throughout the United States and Canada.